Step 1: Who needs to apply?
You must apply for a visa if you:
- Cannot travel with the Visa Waiver Program.
- Your passport was issued or extended after 25 October, 2006 and is not an "e-Passport"
- Hold a temporary German passport.
- Hold an Emergency German passport.
- Hold a children’s German passport (Kinderreisepass) issued or extended after October 25, 2006.
- Hold a children’s German "Kinderausweis"
- Intend to accept paid or unpaid employment in the USA (also applies to journalists, au-pairs and interns);
- Wish to travel to the United States for more than 90 days;
- Wish to attend a secondary school or university (as part of an exchange program or a self-organized stay);
- Have been denied entry on a previous occasion or have been expelled from the USA during the last five years;
- Have a criminal record or suffer from a serious communicable disease or mental disorder;
- Were refused an ESTA clearance.
Note: You may not have to apply for a United States Visa if you are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program.