Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Visa Free Travel, Non-Immigrant and Immigrant Visas


Visa Free Travel
All nationals or citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries who plan to travel to the United States for temporary business or pleasure require an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the United States under the VWP.

NIV Logo

Non-Immigrant Visa
Non-Immigrant Visas (NIV) are for international travelers, (citizens of other countries), coming to the United States temporarily. This visa allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (an airport, for example) and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security immigration inspector to enter the U.S.
A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States.

International travelers come to the U.S. for a wide variety of reasons, including tourism, study, business, medical treatment and certain types of temporary work.

For more information about the different non-immigrant visas please read about our NIV visa categories.

Non-immigrant Visas are processed at the following consulates:

  • Berlin - All visa classes except K (fiancé/fiancée), E-1 (treaty trader), and E-2 (investor) visas.
  • Frankfurt - All visa classes except A, G, and NATO Visas.
  • Munich - All visa classes except K (fiancé/fiancée), E-1 (treaty trader), and E-2 (investor) visas.

Please read our Customer Service Statement as we are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged

IV Logo

Immigrant Visas
Immigrant visas are required by anyone seeking to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States. Upon entry into the United States an immigrant visa holder is processed for a Permanent Resident Card, commonly known as a Green Card.

Applications of the Diversity Visa Lottery (green card lottery) winners are also processed by the Immigrant Visa unit.

Immigrant Visas are processed at the following consulates:

  • Frankfurt - currently processes all immigrant visa classes.
Please do NOT bring mobil phones, laptops, brifcases or portable game consoles!

Security - How To Get Into The Consulates
If you fail to follow these security requirements (pdf, 69 KB) you may face delays or cancellations to your visit.

Inform yourself of what you CANNOT bring into the consulate.

This includes:

Important Information

  • Due to a consular systems upgrade, consular operations at the U.S. Embassy Berlin, U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt, and U.S. Consulate General Munich will be closed to the public on Friday, October 9.   If you already have an appointment scheduled for this date, you will be contacted to reschedule.  For any emergency travel involving U.S. citizens, please look at the instructions on requesting an emergency appointment here or contact us directly.  For visa information, please visit our website here for more information.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Travel & Tourism in the U.S.

  • Tourism Badge

Visitor Information

  • Forbidden Items and
    Entry Regulations

    • NO cell phones
    • NO USB Sticks
    • NO portable game devices
    • More restricted items (pdf)

    If you fail to follow these security requirements you may face delays or cancellations to your visit.

    Items cannot be deposited at the U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate

    no cell phones allowed inside

Fraud Warning

  • Scam Alert