Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Reports of Birth Abroad
Passports, Reports of Birth and Renunciations

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born outside of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad.”  You may also apply for your child’s first passport and social security card when you report your child’s birth.  

  • You must make an appointment for this service in Berlin, Frankfurt or Munich here.
  • You may also go to our Consular Agency in Bremen, but please check their website for operating hours here.
  • Both parents must accompany the child to the appointment. 

To Apply for Your Child's Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Application Form

Please complete Form DS-2029, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad. 

Supporting Documents
Please bring original documents and one copy

You will need all of the following:

  1. Child’s Foreign Birth Certificate (beglaubigte Abschrift/Ausdruck aus dem Geburtenregister). This is the German birth certificate issued by local authorities on request. This document must show the biological parents’ names. There are other short-form birth certificates (Geburtsurkunde) which are not acceptable for documenting your child as a US citizen. If you are unsure which certificate you have, please ask the Standesamt where it was issued if you have the “Beglaubigte Abschrift/Ausdruck aus dem Geburtenregister.”
    Children born before January 1, 2009 may have been issued an “Abstammungsurkunde.” All Abstammungsurkunden issued before January 1, 2009 are also acceptable. 
  2. Evidence of Parents’ Citizenship and Identity. Your current passport is the preferred form of proof.  Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable, but you must also present a photo identification.
  3. Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Your child’s birth certificate containing both parents’ names is the best form of proof.  
  4. If you are married, we need to see your marriage certificate. If your marriage certificate is in a language other than English or German, a certified translation must be provided.
  5. If you have prior marriages, we need to see your divorce decree, annulment, or the death certificate.  If your document is in a language other than English or German, a certified translation must be provided.
  6. Proof that the US citizen parent lived in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to her/his child. How long is long enough? That will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen. Learn more about how much physical presence is required for transmitting citizenship here.  How you prove you were physically present will depend a lot on your situation. Examples of acceptable primary evidence include: school transcripts, DD-214 separation statement (military members only), military records, wage statements, or employment records.  Secondary evidence (submitted in conjunction with primary evidence) may include: income tax returns filed in the U.S., utility bills in the name of the parent, medical records, former/current passport with stamps, airline ticket stubs, credit card bills, or notarized affidavits from former/current employers. The more you can provide, the easier it will be for the consular officer to approve the CRBA. 
  7. If the parents are not married or if the unmarried father is not present on the day of the application, we need a notarized affidavit of parentage, physical presence and financial support from the father. Please fill out the Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence
  8. For unmarried couples, we also require the German Vaterschaftsanerkennung and a German statement regarding custody ("Sorgerechterklaerung" specifying sole or joint custody).

Fees and Forms of Payment

Please see our “Fees and Forms of Payment” information.  This page also includes a link to the form you can use to pay by credit card.

  • Please remember to bring all required documentation with you to your appointment.  If you do not bring all of the required forms and supporting documentation, you may have to make a new appointment and there will be a delay in processing your case.

To Apply for Your Child's First Passport, You Will Need:

  1. Completed Passport Application Form DS-11;
  2. Any foreign passport that the child may currently hold or is included in;
  3. One recent passport photograph, measuring 2 in. x 2 in. or 5 cm. x 5 cm.  The child must be facing front, on a white background.  The face must be clearly visible.  German passport photos (biometric photos) are NOT acceptable for your child’s US passport because they are too small and too dark in the background.  Please review our photo requirements.
  4. If one parent is unable to accompany the child and second parent for the appointment, we need a notarized, original Statement of Consent (DS-3053), signed by the absent parent.

Fees and Forms of Payment

Please see our “Fees and Forms of Payment” information.  This page also includes a link to the form you can use to pay by credit card.

To Apply for Your Child's Social Security Card:

Please complete the application SS-5 Application for Social Security Card.

The application will then be sent to the Federal Benefits Unit in Frankfurt for processing. It will generally take an additional 3-4 weeks for the actual card to be mailed directly to you from the United States.

Further general information on this subject and the application form can be found on the main website for the Social Security Administration or by emailing directly to


  • Appointment Required

    Appointments are required for all services and locations except in Bremen.

    Visit your location to find out how to make an appointment.

  • Appointment System Problems?

    If you experience problems with our appointment system, we ask you to please have patience and try again at a later time.