Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Reports of Birth Abroad
Passports, Reports of Birth and Renunciations

First-time Issuances:


  • Replacement Report of Birth Abroad

Replacement Report of Birth Abroad

The approved Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240) is evidence that your child acquired United States citizenship at birth. This form is known as a basic citizenship document. The duplicate of the form FS-240 has been forwarded to the Passport Office of the Department of State in Washington, D.C. for permanent filing purposes, together with your application for a consular report of birth abroad, form DS-2029, which you recently completed.

The Consular Report of Birth (FS-240) is issued on specially designed safety paper with preprinted serial numbers; multiple copies of the form cannot be issued.

In order to obtain a replacement document for a lost/stolen or mutilated FS-240, a written request with the following information is required

  • Full name of child at birth (plus any adoptive names)
  • Date and place of birth
  • Names of parents
  • Serial number of the FS-240 (if issued after Nov. 1, 1990 and if available)
  • Any available passport information
  • Signature of the requestor and
  • Notarized affidavit explaining the circumstances. (separate document)

The fee for a replacement copy is $50.00

  • Payable by check or money order to the Department of State.

All documentation must be mailed to:

Department of State
Passport Services
Vital Records Section
Room 510
1111 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036

The replacement will have the number of the original document followed by a dash and a number indication that it is not the original issuance.

Please Note:

Children born of two U.S. citizen parents in American military hospitals are not required to be registered by German authorities. Under German law, however, children born of one German and one non-German parent (after January 1, 1975) may also have a claim to German citizenship, and for this reason, some parents obtain German birth certificates as well. Under these circumstances, parents should check with the German Standesamt in whose jurisdiction the birth took place.

Your U.S. citizen child is not required to have his/her birth registered with any state, county or municipal authority in the United States.